The Benefits of Cycling
Posted on 11 Aug 2020
As well as making you feel good and helping with weight loss there are countless advantages to riding your bike. Cycling can help increase cardiovascular fitness levels, enhance muscles and flexibility and increase joint mobility. Cycling can also help to improve your mental health and wellbeing and it is great for the environment!
Physical Health Benefits
- Encourages weight loss – Cycling is a low impact aerobic exercise, it helps your body to burn fat. Cycling daily will increase your metabolism and help you to build muscle, which in turn, means you burn more calories.
- Builds stamina – Riding your bike increases stamina, builds strength, and improves aerobic fitness.
- Improves balance – Balancing on your bike helps to stabilise your body and staying upright which helps improve your posture and coordination.
- Regular exercise – Such as cycling can protect you from various diseases such as obesity, cancer, diabetes, heart disease and mental impairments.
Mental Health Benefits
- Stress reduction – Studies have shown that cyclists can reduce their stress levels by up to 40%. Riding your bike encourages you to regulate your breathing and to breathe deeply, both are proven ways to alleviate stress.
- Anxiety – According to researchers in America, aerobic exercise, such as cycling and running, can reduce feeling of anxiety and help prevent anxious feeling turning into a panic attack.
- The average person making a typical daily car commute of four miles each way would save 0.5 tonnes of CO2, or 6% of their annual carbon footprint, by switching to cycling.
- Riding your bike instead of using the car can cut down on greenhouse gas emissions.
- By riding a bike in place of using your car you can help reduce air pollutants, noise pollution and congestion.
No matter if you are a new to cycling, ride occasionally or if you live in the saddle there is an abundance of information, tips and ideas on cyclingUK website https://www.cyclinguk.orgBack to News